the 10%

I bought my tickets to Myanmar last week and I’ll be away from September 18 – 23.
I have a few people ask me why and I’ve very hesitant to say “missions.” I don’t like that word. It sounds military and patronizing to me. And I want nothing of that. I’d rather just tell you that I’ll be there distributing first aid kits, toothbrushes and stationery. Good news isn’t very good when the only focus is the soul and not the physical. There’s nothing “spiritual” about it, yet everything is spiritual.
I was at a Burmese church on Sunday and despite not understanding 90% of what was happening, the remaining 10% resonated deeply in me. I didn’t have to sing along to be apart of it. It was almost like my experience with the Telugu speaking church in Brickfields. It’s not about the singing, but being in a community. They cooked together, ate together and the religious and irreligious participated together without distinction of who was serving who.
This church has no signboard. And I hope they will never have one.

I bought my ticket to Myanmar last week and I’ll be away from September 18 – 23.

I have a few people ask me why and I’m very hesitant to say “missions.” I don’t like that word. It has a tendency to sound military and patronizing. And I want nothing of that. I’d rather just tell you that I’ll be there distributing first aid kits, toothbrushes and stationery. Good news isn’t very good when the only focus is the soul and not the physical. There’s nothing “spiritual” about it, yet everything is spiritual.

I was with a Burmese church on Sunday and despite not understanding 90% of what was happening, the remaining 10% resonated deeply in me. I didn’t have to sing along to be a part of it. It was almost like my experience with the Telugu speaking church in Brickfields. It’s not about the singing, but being in a community. They cooked together, ate together and the religious and irreligious participated together without distinction of who was serving who.

This church has no signboard. And I hope they will never have one.

Advertisements

4 comments

  1. We give what we can, but in truth I think we receive from them more than all the money and things we can offer.

  2. rachelchew

    Yes, it’s true that it’s more blessed to give than to receive. They’re more than blessed.

  3. Jibril

    Once again, I’m touched by your words.

    I have had similar experience in a Korean church. While I couldn’t understand the sermon entirely and their service seemed to emphasize different aspects, I can’t deny that they were so much like a family.

  4. rachelchew

    thank you, Jibril :)
    not understanding everything can be great, huh? it makes one hear the unspoken.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: